Sunday, January 6, 2013

Fried Cabbage and Ground Beef


This is one of those meals that is so simple you wonder how it tastes so good. I mean, there is only a few straightforward ingredients and yet, it turns into this wonderful, flavorful combination.
The recipe makes a fairly large amount so you can either serve your family OR you can break it up and freeze some of it for later.
I figured out the nutritional info (using Fitday) by counting this as 4 servings.
Per serving: calories - 315, fat - 13.4, carbs - 24.6, and protein - 26.4.
A quarter of this is a pretty big serving.
Oh, yeah, I wanted to point out the bowl in the photos. My niece, Kenzie, gave it to me for Christmas. She did the design herself. She bought an inexpensive white bowl, drew on it with a permanent marker, then baked it to set the ink.
Pretty cool, right? I love it!


Fried Cabbage and Ground Beef

Ingredients
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 small onion, diced
1 large carrot, shredded
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 head cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp Worcestershire
2 Tbsp Thai sweet chili sauce
1/4 tsp garlic salt
salt & pepper

Directions
In a large sauce pan, cook beef until no longer pink. Remove to a bowl, set aside.
In the same large pan; add olive oil to pan. Add in onion, carrot, garlic. Cook and stir until onions have started to soften. Add cabbage, water, Worcestershire, sweet chili sauce, garlic salt, salt & pepper. Cover and cook until water is gone and cabbage is soft, about 10 - 15 minutes. (If you need to add more water and cook longer then do so - you want the cabbage to be thoroughly cooked.)
Stir the cooked ground beef back into the cabbage and let cook until heated through.
Serve hot.
NOTE - As you may be able to tell from the photos, I did not shred my cabbage but rather chopped it. I didn't have our food processor and didn't feel like shredding the whole head by hand. Chopping it works just as well as shredding as long as you make sure you chop it into fairly small bits.

In case you need another reason to give this a try - it is full of fibre, protein, Vit A, Vit B6, Vit B12, Vit C, Zinc, and a lot of other healthy stuff.
You can easily change this up to suit your tastes too. Different veggies, different spices - I'm finding it quite interesting and fun to play around with different veggie and spice combinations to find my favorites.

Be sure to visit A Humble Bumble for some healthy links.

14 comments:

  1. YUM! I am very lucky that my family loves cabbage but I never thought to use it in this way. Usually we just eat it raw in cole slaw or I cook it (like with corned beef). I am pretty sure this could be a huge hit in my household. Will have to put cabbage on my grocery list for sure.

    Thank you so much for linking up to Healthy Tuesdays Blog Hop!

    Kerry from Country Living On A Hill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love boiled cabbage. This sounds pretty tasty, too. :) Thanks for sharing at A Humble Bumble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, thanks for sharing. My girls love cabbage and I've been looking for a new/different recipe to try. I usually have cabbage left over from soups and stuff and this would be a great "leftover" recipe. Thanks!

    Cinella @ The Mami Blog
    http://cjrthemamiblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pinned it: http://pinterest.com/pin/196117758745178672/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pinning us :) And, I totally agree - it would be a great leftover recipe!

      Delete
    2. your homemade dish is very pretty , i did not know you could do that with markers and keep it on the dish . anyway i like fried bacon with fried cabbage and noodles with some garlic , salt and pepper and butter

      Delete
  5. I'm going to have to try this! I usually make a "stuffed cabbage" which is basically a portion of meatloaf wrapped in a cooked cabbage leaf, then the 6 or 8 little cabbage rolls are put in a baking pan with a sweet tomato sauce over top and baked... so this recipe seems to have basically the same ingredients in it -- I'll bet it turns out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made this twice with rave reviews from my husband! I tweaked it just a little to cater to his tastebuds: I subbed Thai chili sauce (a bit of heat) and doubled that and the Worcestershire and I omitted the garlic salt (the Worcestershire made it salty enough and it seemed to have plenty of flavor from the minced garlic) and the carrots (I simply didn't have any). It sounds like such a simple recipe, but it's FANTASTIC! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and by the way... my husband likes to put unusual leftovers into his omelettes, and I can honestly say this tastes great in an omelette :) It was also good in a whole wheat wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how delicious his is because I've been making this recipe for over 40 years!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made this and tweaked a little myself. I cook cabbage in the oven, but have never tried fried cabbage, and I have added some butter, and small amount of shredded cheese. My husband does not like spicy foods, but this was. HUGE HIT. Go Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What kind / brand of chili sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it says Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, any brand will work. :)

      Delete
  11. I tried this last night after finding it on Pinterest and we loved it! It's definitely on my list to make again.
    Paul Brown

    ReplyDelete